Few things are tougher to deal with as physicians than mistakes in medicine or unanticipated outcomes. It’s something we all experience at one point or another, and I know how hard it can be to handle the regret. I also know how challenging it can be to be kind to yourself after something like that happens.
So today, we’re going to discuss what I call FGOs, or Flipping Growth Opportunities. These situations are awful, and we can’t change them, but we can choose to be gentle with ourselves and practice self-compassion. Listen in to hear advice on how to do that, what we can learn from growth opportunities, and a mindfulness exercise to help you be kind to yourself when these situations arise.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- What growth opportunities can teach us.
- The two types of mindsets we can have.
- Why it’s so important to have self-compassion.
- The three aspects of self-compassion.
- A mindfulness exercise to help in dealing with growth opportunities in medicine.
Ideas Worth Sharing:It can be difficult to find words to share mistakes in medicine or unanticipated outcomes and regrets … If this is you, know that you’re not alone. It’s something that every physician understands. - @KathyStepienMD Click To Tweet Self-compassion is at the core of compassion, and that’s at the core for being an excellent physician. -@KathyStepienMD Click To Tweet Know that your self-compassion is the foundation for your compassion in the world. -@KathyStepienMD Click To Tweet
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Dr. Kathy Stepien: Twitter
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Dr. Carol S. Dweck
- Dr. Kristin Neff